Thursday, October 9, 2014

A couple times with ropes before the eigth month mark

The old, fat guy with two artificial hips is still climbing


I recently passed eight months since my hip resurfacing surgery (I'm at two years, seven-and-a-half months since the revision). At this point, in terms of strength, balance and flexibility, the revised THR and the HR are almost indistinguishable. The news is I've started to jog a bit during my regular hikes. Last Tuesday after work, for example, I took the headlamp and went out for a 5 mile jaunt, jogging for 400 meter stretches about a half-a-dozen different times. I think it was something like three or four years before the botched resurfacing when I gave up running for good, because of my hip condition, That means it's been seven or eight years since I last ran, so if these short stretches jogging don't sound like much, it's a pretty big deal to me. I've also been working more on yoga exercises and doing stuff (simple as it might be) that I haven't been able to do for years.

Last weekend it rained and the weekend before I went bouldering by myself. However, I did manage to get out and climb a couple of times with ropes during the past month or so. One time I went to el autodromo with Martín, Hugo and a local kid named Federico.

It took Fede some work to redpoint this 10d


Hugo gives the same 10d a go

Even though the rock drew first blood

Martín scratched his leg

Martín made a good effort on this 10d roof (although no redpoint yet):


Martín managed this 10d roof with a hang or two

That day, I only managed to redpoint routes I'd already done (there are eight routes I've yet to send in el autodromo), although I did go up to try the roof: 

Tim goes up to try a roof

Get the clip

By the time we packed up to leave, the lights of Balcarce were shining dowen below

The end of another beautiful day in the Sierras of Balcarce

The other time out, I went back to the routes in el bosque with Martín and Hugo. This day I climbed a little better and managed to send two different 5.11s (an 11a and an 11b). It's been a lot of years since I redpointed two 5.11s in one day.

Martín and Hugo top roped the 11b: 

Martín on a bouldery 11b face

Hugo eyes the last hard move on the 11b face

I also tried three times to redpoint an 11c face, but I didn´t have what it takes to manage the crux without a hang

Although short, this 11c face has some quality climbing
















No comments:

Post a Comment