Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Solitary bouldering during the sixth and seventh month

A V2 boulder in la Media Tierra

Motivation amongst my regular climbing companions (Gaby, Ceci and even Martín) seems to have fizzled out recently (during the sixth and seventh month post-op) so when I could get outdoors to climb, I mostly went bouldering by myself. Actually, I really enjoy some aspects of solitary bouldering, although I'm somewhat less able to push myself if I get nervous about falling.



A V1 boulder problem in the sector of El Huevo


A V2 traverse in la Media Tierra


Nearing the end of a long, pumpy V1 traverse

All in all I've sent about 70 different boulder problems since my resurfacing (all problems that I've done before but in some cases haven't been able to repeat in years). A big highlight was that I recently sent three problems which I had worked on several times last year without success. These are all boulders which I haven't been able to do for maybe five or six years (or longer). Here's a sequence of shots from one of these problems (the grade is maybe hard V3 or easy V4):

Coming out of the sit start

Move out onto the face then heel hook the left foot 


A left heel hook and pressure with the right leg for body tension on a big move

A knee bar to move past slopy holds


The rest is easy but high







No comments:

Post a Comment